Welcome to our careers page! Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office. Applications for Deputy Sheriff Positions and Detention Officer Positions may be picked up at the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office located at 304 Craven St., Beaufort, NC between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. You may also download a copy to your computer by selecting Job Application.
Prior to hiring, the following requirements must be successfully met:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Must be 21 years of age or older;
- Be a high school graduate, or the equivalent (GED);
- Have been fingerprinted by the employing agency;
- Have had a medical examination by a licensed physician;
- Be of good moral character;
- Not have committed or been convicted of a crime or crimes as specified in 12 NCAC 10B .0307;
- Possess a valid North Carolina Driver’s License and have an acceptable driving record;
- Oral Interview;
- Acceptable credit history;
- Be able to perform the essential functions of the position for which you are applying;
- Have a background investigation conducted by the employing agency, to include a personal interview prior to employment;
- Within five working days notify the Standards Division and the appointing department head in writing of all criminal offenses with which the officer is charged and all Domestic Violence Orders (50B) and Civil No Contact Orders (50C) which are issued by a judicial official and which provide an opportunity for both parties to be present; and shall also give notification, in writing, to the Standards Division and the appointing department head following the adjudication of these criminal charges and Domestic Violence Orders (50B). This shall include all criminal offenses except minor traffic offenses.
- Have produced a negative result on a drug screen administered according to the following specifications:
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- High School Diploma, GED or college Transcripts
- If a Veteran, copy of DD-214 stating “Honorable” Discharge
- Proof of registration as required by Federal Military Service Act (males aged 18-26)
- Copy of North Carolina Basic Law Enforcement Training Certificate and proof of passing State Certification Test (deputy sheriff applicants only)
- Name change documents (marriage, adoption, etc.)
- Any other applicable diplomas and/or certificates may be included
- Three (3) completed personal references
- No applications will be accepted without All supporting documents.
- No applications will be accepted that are mailed to our office.
Carteret County is an equal opportunity employer.