In recent years, the number of marijuana grow operations has increased dramatically. Marijuana grow-ops will appear in homes or outbuildings in both residential, rural or commercial/industrial areas.
What are the Indicators of a Marijuana Grow Operation?
- Rarely does anyone appear to be home
- Higher than normal traffic in and out of the residence at odd hours, especially at night
- Frequent loading and unloading of equipment (i.e. large fans, lights, plastic plant containers and bags of potting soil)
- Residents and visitors avoid contact with neighbors
- Blacked out windows or blinds drawn all of the time
- Condensation on blacked out windows
- Sounds of construction or electrical "humming" from equipment may be heard
- Localized surges or decreases in power
- A "Skunk" smell in the air, often at the same time each day or night
- Little outside maintenance to exterior of property
- Large amounts of garbage being produced by the household containing used soil and plant material
- Bright lights coming from residence (High intensity bulbs are used by growers to accelerate the plant growth)
- Warning signs are posted in windows or around the exterior of the residence (i.e. Beware of Dog, No Trespassing, Guard Dogs on Property, etc.)
What do I do if I suspect a house is a Marijuana Grow Operation?
Public awareness about grow operations and tips from the community have helped in the arrest and conviction of countless drug offenders. The Carteret County Sheriff's Office encourages members of the community to take notice of unusual activities or the signs of a Marijuana Grow Operation and to contact the Carteret County Sheriff's Department directly at (252) 504-4800 or you can make an anonymous report through CRIMESTOPPERS. All information will be kept entirely confidential.