You must obtain a valid handgun purchase permit whether you receive the weapon from a commercial dealer or a private person. The requirement also applies without regard to whether it is a transaction for money or a gift.
Application Process for Handgun Purchase Permits
Applications are available at the Carteret County Sheriff's Office located on the 1st floor, 304 Craven Street, Beaufort. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday; telephone (252) 504-4800. You may also print an online version by clicking Handgun Application.
Pistol permits are issued to citizens of Carteret County for the protection of home, target shooting, weapons collecting and hunting. You must obtain a valid pistol permit whether you receive the weapon from a commercial dealer or a private person. The requirement also applies without regard to whether it is a transaction for money or a gift. If you submit the application, background checks will be conducted to satisfy the Sheriff’s requirements for good moral character.
G.S. 14-404(e ) reads as rewritten: “(e) The sheriff shall charge for the sheriff’s services upon receipt of an application a fee of five dollars ($5.00) for each permit requested.”*Fees are non-refundable and required by State Law. Applicant must meet all application requirements.
Pistol Permit Requirements
- You must be a citizen of the United States
- You must be a resident of Carteret County for at least six (6) months prior to the date of applying. Proof of residency must be provided upon request. (Driver’s License or Photo ID Card)
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must include three (3) references, who are not your family relatives.
DO NOT COMPLETE APPLICATION IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING APPLY TO YOU
- Criminal conviction(s) relating to Domestic Assault or Threats with Weapons
- Under indictment or information for or has been convicted in any state, or in any court of the United States, of a felony
- Under the authority of a Domestic Violence Protective Order or an Ex-Parte Order
- Fugitive from Justice
- Pending criminal charge(s) or criminal conviction(s) in relation to Marijuana or any other depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug or Controlled Substance within the last (5) years
- Unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug (as defined in 21 U.S.C. § 802).
- Adjudicated mentally incompetent or has been committed to any mental institution
- Discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
- Renounced your United States citizenship
- Currently in the United States illegally
- Provide a letter of recommendation from your Commanding Officer
- Military Record Check – Provost Marshall’s Office will provide criminal record check officially stamped along with the aforementioned Commanding Officer’s letter of recommendation. *STAMPED REQUIRED ON ALL MILITARY FORMS*
If you submit the application, background checks will be conducted to satisfy the Sheriff’s requirements for good moral character.
You may submit your application and service fees to the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office at your earliest convenience or by mail to the following address:
Carteret County Sheriff’s Office
PO Drawer 239
Beaufort, NC 28516
Attn: Handgun Purchase Permits
- When you have completed the application and have returned it to the Sheriff’s Office, it may take up to 7, but no more than 10 business days for it to be processed. A non-refundable fee of $5.00 will be charged for each permit requested at the time of applying. Correct change is requested.
- The Sheriff’s Office will keep the application on file for one (1) year beginning on the date application was approved. After one (1) year, it will be placed in inactive status and you will be required to complete another application.
- Once application is approved by the Sheriff, applicant will be notified in a timely manner by the contact information provided on the application. Applicant must be present to pick up permit and present a photo ID.
- A maximum of five (5) pistol permits may be obtained per application. Permits are good for five (5) years from the date of issuance.
- If application is mailed to CCSO please include a money order or cashier’s check for the amount required. (Example: Request 3 pistol permits, the fee will be $15.00.) No personal checks will be accepted.
The Sheriff will review any prior criminal charges or convictions. It is within the Sheriff’s discretion to deny or approve any handgun purchase permit(s).