You must obtain a valid handgun purchase permit whether you receive the weapon from a commercial dealer or a private person. The requirement also applies without regard to whether it is a transaction for money or a gift.
Receiving a handgun without first obtaining a handgun purchase permit from the recipient of the pistol is a Class 2 misdemeanor under North Carolina law.
Application Process for Handgun Purchase Permits
Applications are available at the Carteret County Sheriff's Office located on the 1st floor, 304 Craven Street, Beaufort. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday; telephone (252) 504-4800. You may also print an online version by clicking Handgun Application.
Pistol Purchase Permits Requirements
- Applicant must be 21 years of age or older.
- Applicant must be a resident of Carteret County for at least (6) months prior to the date of application.
- Applicant must include (3) references who are not your family relatives.
If you submit the application, background checks will be conducted to satisfy the Sheriff’s requirements for good moral character.
DO NOT COMPLETE APPLICATION IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING APPLY TO YOU
- Criminal conviction(s) relating to Domestic Assault or Threats with Weapons
- Felony Conviction(s)
- Under the authority of a Domestic Violence Protective Order or an Ex-Parte Order
- Fugitive from Justice
- Pending criminal charge(s) or criminal conviction(s) in relation to Marijuana or any Depressant, Stimulant, Narcotic Drug or other Controlled Substance within the last (5) years.
- Adjudicated mentally defective or have been committed to a mental institution
- Discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
- Renounced your United States citizenship
- Currently in the United States illegally
- Provide a letter of recommendation from your Commanding Officer
- Military Record Check – Provost Marshall’s Office will provide criminal record check officially stamped along with the aforementioned Commanding Officer’s letter of recommendation. **STAMPED REQUIRED ON ALL MILITARY FORMS**
Upon completion of your application, return it to the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office at your earliest convenience or by mail to the following address:
Carteret County Sheriff’s Office
PO Drawer 239
Beaufort, NC 28516
Attn: Purchase Permits
- Please allow the Carteret County Sheriff’s Department 7 to 10 business days to process your application.
- Once application is approved by the Sheriff, applicant will be notified in a timely manner by the contact information provided on the application.
- Applicant must be present to pick up permit and present a photo id.
- Purchase Permits may be picked up Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- A maximum of five (5) purchase permits may be obtained per application. Application is valid for one (1) year beginning on the date application was approved.
- A $5.00 cash only fee will be charged per permit at time of pickup.
The Sheriff will review any prior criminal charges or convictions. It is within the Sheriff’s discretion to deny or approve any pistol purchase permit(s).