***Important Information Regarding Fingerprinting Services***
In an effort to minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19 for the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office personnel and the public, the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office is temporarily suspending fingerprinting services with the exception of those applying for concealed carry permits.
This temporary change in operating procedure will be reviewed as needed and modifications will be communicated to the public.
We thank everyone for their patience and understanding as we put in place these temporary measures in an effort to safeguard our employees, those in our charge, and the citizens we serve.
Hours of Operation – Services suspended
The Carteret County Sheriff’s Office currently offers both Live Scan “inkless” fingerprinting technology and ink fingerprints. Live scan is the process used to digitally obtain and transmit fingerprints. This technology complies with all national standards and formats and can be used in place of inked cards, regardless of where the cards are being submitted.
Once fingerprints are digitally obtained, they are transmitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) as needed. The DOJ and FBI will evaluate the prints and transmit the results to the requesting agency within 3 to 14 days.
Residents interested in having fingerprints taken (at the request of the potential employer) may bring their own fingerprint card which is provided by the prospective employer. If a potential employer has given you a fingerprint card, or an OAI (Originating Agency Identifier) number, please bring that information so that we can transfer the information to your scanned and printed card. If a potential employer does not provide you with a fingerprint card, the Sheriff’s Office will provide you with one.
To ensure the safety of everyone and the efficiency of the Fingerprint/Live Scan services we ask for compliance on the following:
- We can not print individuals with open wounds on their fingers
- Lotion, or oil based products should not be worn the day of fingerprinting
- All cell phones and non-medical related electronic devices should be turned off prior to entering our facilities.
- Pets and nonessential individuals should not attend an applicant’s appointment.
Payment and Fees
- A fee of $10.00 is required and may be paid with Cash or Money Order
- Money orders should be made payable to the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office
- We do not accept personal checks